Flow

Thursday, September 29, 2011

"...... until it gives you a sense of irresistible calmness..."

I had the chance of catching up with a few of my friends during my college days. Some of them were quite close and we discussed a lot of things during those times, exchange a lot of opinions on matter about life, future and career. They matter to you because they had an impact in some ways in your subsequent thinking. I was lucky to be able to find this college senior on facebook. BC was one of those senior during my JC day, even among us, we call him "granddad" because he is so knowledgeable and like a very reliable parent and we won't hesitate to contact him if we had any things to discuss, and he will be so patient to lend us his listening ears. He is a good man. When BC had a browse on my profile on facebook. He commented on my interest that I am into religion, and I told him I am more into Buddhist's thinking, while he said he was more into 老子. He read my blog and asked me to read more, and he also said there is a lot in our Chinese Culture, which I can not agree more. However, I also told him there is no boundary in my thinking, now that I tend to "go with the flow" given my situation.

I guess sometimes people like myself can easily found we tend to be "in the middle", stick somewhere. Not very Chinese, also of course also not English. Many things in life is not by choice, but by chance. The position I am in makes me look like "an outsider", the bad thing is I don't "belong anywhere"; the good thing is I can observe and can easily be empathetic if need be, since I "don't belong", I don't feel "involved". Inevitably, in an environment of a different culture, one can't help being influenced by the way of thinking and behavior. Still, I am often being challenged in term of people I choose to be close with. I do believe whatever our environment, we choose our friends. To do so, it needs sometimes to see beyond the layer of cultural difference between you and the other person, and then to treat them as who they truly are and be their friends, or simply as their colleagues. It's a steep learning curve, and no one says you know it all from day one.

This reminds me what we discussed in our meditation class on Tuesday. Something about the cycle of time, that there is a world drama cycle, in that, whatever we do, we no longer attained the peace that long ago it used to be, we forget how to make the good use of what we have, and make the best of it, we simply influence by our environment. We forget how to be good "Actor", as in acting from within, acting from a peaceful mind. Surely, considering my environment, I can only make the best of it, and not affected by whatever that is "enforced"on you. I think the idea of being an actor is to "feel involved" in a situation, with an element of focus along the way. You must feel you embrace the situation and feel the situation, the here and the now, as you observe with your senses. All so clear and crisp that bring to you a state of irresistible calmness.

This actually feel like the flow of water, as my forever inquisitive cousin brought it up the other day. Yes, it's an emotion that diffused in a situation, widely spread throughout, like water that flows if you pour it out slowly. It's the inner strength that emerged, as your sense of peace and calm took over you more and more. This helps to give you a sense of power as you would realize, the more meditations you practice, if you believe in it, of course.

0 comments: