Getting a kick start to "write a story"

Monday, April 26, 2010

"And each day, little by little, it gets built up into something bigger, and the whole story should complete one day..."

I began putting together material to write the paper about the German DAX, deriving from JR's dissertation, which looked like a complete piece of work, being a dissertation, with literature review, methodology, data, finding and conclusion, like how you would expect to be the structure of any journal article. But, this time, I am facing a challenge of a different type. I think I am more of a story teller here. I need some "selling skills" here. Write something that flows, make sense, built into a climax, appeal to the potential readers and have some sensible implications. There you go and we are talking about writing an academic paper, thinking like JK Rowling (but earn lesser than her :( ), but must write in a way appeal to our "type" of readers, which are not often the same readers who would read a dissertation.

I spent most of my afternoon sourcing for papers of similar topics, and read them as if a scanner, and as perceptively as I could, pick out main idea in each of the papers I came across and connects all the ideas together and tried putting them in my paper, referencing them properly too. Well, I ended up only writing 5 lines.

This is all good experience for me, it is just at a different phase of a research and needed different type of skills and make you realise you have to be just as versatile and adaptable throughout the different stages in a research cycle. It is also something that don't use "quantity" as a measures to assess outcome, it is quality that counts, so the more one needs to be patient and be aware of the progress.

Today I finished 5 lines, tomorrow as I carried on, and built upon that, I should get new inspirations and ideas to begin with. The outcome of that research, by the end of tomorrow should be entirely different. And each day, little by little, it gets built up into something bigger, and the whole story should complete one day, not too far into the future, and hopefully it should be nearer to submitting to a good journal. :D

0 comments: