Memory is the gift of time

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"... and those open doors bring us back. Some doors, indeed, were never close..."

It felt a little strange how time flies, and as I looked back to the past, still the memories seemed vague, but it seems like only yesterday we met in the university's day. I cannot say we were extremely close, but I guess, and like most do, one of those "hi" and "bye" sort of friends. the rather "impersonal" way of life in Higher Educations, shook up my whole idea about friendship. You felt you lost touch of it so easily, and people come by and go, who you want to become close with, and who you want to choose as your friends seems such a daunting task. That was the very first time I experienced how friendship meant something different. I was a little shock, but nonetheless, got on with it, knew a few good friends during the University's days, but never quite get close with you. I supposed we had one or two occasions that we had assignment together, that we discussed together, amongst other course mates, that happened to have to do that economics assignment for the same week.

They all said friends you made during your schools' days are the best, yet, I am not sure if I had made the best use of that during my time. Then you realized after you graduated and began working, when you felt you needed someone to share personal opinion about life, work and career in general, you didn't find you could get someone as a listener. And often you found, moving from one job to the next means people that you knew before closed their doors while you see others in the new jobs opened theirs. It still felt the same after all these years, except that you found some people nicer than others, which you accepted as the way it should be.

"Facebook" no longer helps me differentiate between acquaintance and friends, the more this prompted me to search for my friends from the past. I have a loud cry inside me, that wanted to rediscover my past, reconnect with people I knew in the past. And I stumbled you on facebook. Gosh, that familiar face floated back my mind and I immediately recognized you, you don't look any different at all. Some doors seem never close, and I passed by you and said hi, not sure what to expect, totally understand how people can become different over time, but you welcomed me and you invited me, which was a delight and a very pleasant surprise.

Obviously, I am already a very different person compared to those days and I am sure you are in similar situation, but I didn't quite feel a difference in you when we chat, that subtle kindness you show, perhaps a bit more mature now? Memory (though vague) is a gift of time, your open doors bring us back, and we become re-connected.  I can be myself and be open about myself, just like in the good old days. And I began to wonder, where have you been all these years. I am glad I found you and I am looking forward to seeing you next time, but meanwhile on this special day, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy, happy birthday. :D

0 comments: