Time waits for no men

Friday, September 02, 2011

"I guess we only have "this much" time left (whatever is your age) for us to do something in our life....."

It looks like this is going to be another working weekend. I had set up a rule such that, I allow myself to work late in the week, but not to work too often on the weekend. As our profession is fairly flexible, working from home/office is really up to one's choice, it is inevitable that you may end up having to work on the weekend. I left my office today about 8 pm, so this is a fairly hectic day filled mostly with research related work. Therefore, today is really one of those that I had expected. What, however, need to be completed over the weekend are the resit exam marking and working on the next almost completed  research paper with JL. More importantly I must make a decision by Monday whether I am taking up my second PhD student, after having interviewed him today.

Strictly speaking, I won't say I am stressed. As far as it is about research, you do find that it is something counts towards the added value to your CV. I guess at times perhaps I may be taking too much. In fact, I only slept for 4 hours consecutively for 3 days last week. And when I woke up in the middle of the nights, I was thinking about some problem with a certain research I was doing. Funnily enough, I found the answer myself in those weird hours of the day. You may say I am productive, but I could do a bit better with being focused. Being focused means you do thing one at a time, and concentrate on it, and not being distracted, as you will lose the fun of it. So, when you sleep you sleep, when you are awake, you work, you relax, you just don't go to bed unnecessarily.

I think I just cannot help it, all the research that I was doing float in my head almost 24/7. While I don't think I want to fight this, I do admit a short break somewhere nearby will be helpful. I guess we only have "this much" time left (whatever is your age) for us to do something in our life while we still can. There are times where we should really take things one at a time. There are other times we really need to be reminded that, time indeed waits for no men. So, make the most of it, do the best you can, while you still can and then you can have the last laugh later. That would be great, won't it? Maybe you can tell me :D

0 comments: