Expectation

Monday, December 12, 2011

"being independent is the way to live...." 

What is the role of expectation in our daily life? Expectation could be risky because you may get disappointed because not all expectation will happen as expected. Why do people then want to expect something? I guess people wanted to get an assurance about things and the outcomes. I wonder if people can live without expectations of others? It seems not quite possible especially if expectation of another person also implied a certain level of responsibilities of this other person. I didn't find myself a "responsible" person mainly because I didn't feel I was brought up learning not to expect from people, and I end up being very protective over my needs, and always wanted to be "independent", which I kind of somehow achieve now and enjoying it.

As I survived those days of taking precautionary measures and to be protective of myself, I began to see it as quite possible for anyone to do. One just has to learn to be independent to begin with. This implies that you will be relying on your own self, as long as you can find meaning the way you handle this, you will be motivated to continue to do so for a very long time. Being "independent" also make you keep an "arm length" when you deal with thing, because you know you will have to take precautions of some sorts, you not likely to put blame on other people if things do not turn out as you like, you kind of "expected" it anyway. I find learning to be independent is a very good exercise to take charge of one's life and also you learnt to manage expectations of other people. Indirectly, this should promote your interpersonal relationship with other people.

However, it is a different story if people now expect you to behave in a certain way. Normally, this seems to appear among younger people, like my students in class, for example. I then learned to keep an "arm's length" with them, so I will still have my own personal spaces, without compromising too much.. Students probably find that I am someone who will do my jobs, well and good, and then all else, I am just friendly, but not particularly want to warm with them. I passed the age of looking for role models, and I survived those years  living a life with no role model. These are all good trainings to me, just that sometimes you just not sure how other younger people look at you. But then, I already know how to keep a distance with them. I guess people will just have to expect that.

0 comments: