Research Strategy

Sunday, May 01, 2011

" .... my strategy is to keep an "equally weighted" research portfolio..."

This is the last Sunday evening of the 4 weeks Easter Break. From Tuesday onward, I will be back to the routine at work. I so much wish I had one more week of holiday. However, looking back, this had been a good 4 weeks break. I truly enjoyed it and had relaxed myself to large extent. A good mix of work and play, which I am pleased. Well, so what's in store for me start of the term then. A few things about research that I would like to complete or accomplish.

1) The bear and bull markets with BB - This must get sorted soon. BB has provided me a 6 page of the theoretical perspective of the issues involved. I must get the rest organized, including the empirical motivation and the structure of the paper.

2) The DEA Bootstrap paper with JL - JL was quite productive and already sent me an updated version in the email on Saturday. This paper was presented in the recent BAFA conference. However, he has claimed that the paper needs further contribution inputs and has kindly worked on it. I guess I need to give him feedback and at least get the first draft in a format suitable to be sent out to a Journal.

3) The Housing paper with MW - I am a bit heart-broken with this one. I worked with MW since I was at Aberdeen with him as colleague. He has since moved on to HW as Reader and then now at Nottingham Trent as Professor. We are so near to completion and sigh! following his recent move, this paper is being hung in the air and not getting anywhere. I need to give this a push and if not all efforts on this paper will be up in the air.

4) The German DAX option paper with JR - My former student has not come back to me about this paper, regarding the data sequence I asked him about. Again, this paper is so near to completion and just need his input. However, this is less complicated compared to 3), as I am in control o most of the time and can try and find a way round to get the problem sort out. This is another task on my list.

I had spoken about my strategy in research is to keep an "equally weighted" research portfolio just to keep the momentum going in order to be productive. The above 4 items are the current papers I am working at the moment. They are all in different stages. 3) and 4) are in my out tray, ready to go anytime. 1) needs some work to be classified as in the in-tray and 2) can be soon be thrown in the out-tray ready to be sent out. I like it when I have different things working on in different stages, that way I can invest different amount of time and efforts. I am more diversified and can be more efficient, as a result. Let's hope I can have a reasonably productive time spent on research when the term re-opens next week. :D

0 comments: