Resignation!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

"No, not me, no, no!"

We had a meeting last Friday, and a very shocking news was announced, my colleague YS has resigned! It was shocking because he was meant for some form of likely promotion as far as we all know, and when that was announced it was quite unbelievable. Well, I am sure there is a background to the reason and perhaps I may not know it at all. Having said that, I had heard from other colleagues that YS has not been happy in the past years and he have been here for more than 5 years already. My personal experience dealing with YS also tell me that while YS is a reserved, quiet type of person, he also appears to be quite unhappy with a few things, not to the extent of overly expressive, but in a subtle sort of way, he will reveal to you. And I do get that from him.

As far as I know, this is the first permanent post of YS since his PhD. To me, he has a relatively even better background compared to me. Better and supportive colleague over here, as compared to me, not even the case at Aberdeen. Seeing colleagues you do research with, one after another quit their jobs, how bad can that be, and that is what I had experienced at Aberdeen. I did tell LF before, I might not be here long enough, but I am happy so far. Indeed, there is no heaven and one cannot expect heaven. Strictly speaking, who won't have complains, and honestly, that is normal. For some, I guess, they may be too haunted by their unpleasant past work experience, that they keep thinking they are "not getting the best deal" and they became easily unhappy after a while landing in a new job and that is sad. There will of course be unhappy thing or stuff we find "not as good" in the job, but as long as it does not overtake our personal life too much, I think it should be acceptable.

We cannot expect heaven, but we can create a heavenly environment surrounding different aspects of our life, So, Rain or shine, summer or winter, keep a smiling face, it held your spirits high and that bring you good vide. Good luck, YS, I hope you find new inspirations in your new job, wherever that is going to be. :D

0 comments: