The fun and Joy of "public speaking"

Friday, February 19, 2010

I was happy about my "performance" in today's lecture. I had heard all sorts of difficulties of teaching in large groups (today group was about 150, I have another Tuesday group of 230 students), that students can be noisy and distracting, etc, all make the new teaching tasks feel like a daunting task.

With an aim to do my job well, or least don't want to have complains from students, I consulted other colleagues about how they deal with large group in teaching. One colleague told me the students loved "to be entertained". I was feeling a bit sad about this comment, not sure if that works as this encourages students not to take you seriously.

Yesterday, LM shared with me his strategy to deal with large students group in the lecture. I then realised students get distracted and not paying attention, because you didn't give them "enough attention", not to say you have to "entertain" them to give attention, it's just appropriately showing to them you know they are there, and that you are willing to help, if they have any problem. This is the idea I get from LM, which is quite useful.

Anyway, in today's lecture, I used body languages like "eye contacts", appropriately to give "attention". I receive positive responds based on what I observed in the students. There is also no need for me to ask the students to "keep quiet" like in the Tuesday lectures, I also didn't feel the needs to "stop for a while" to let the students "quiet down". Today's situations were better controlled and I think I had also enjoyed today's session of lecture. I hope to build on this on my subsequent lectures and hope this "success" helps to boost my confidence for my Tuesday's lecture. I want to bring back the joy and fun of fighting the nerve in public speaking and still do a good delivery and then feel absolutely satisfying, just like during those day when I was a CTM (i.e., Competent Toastmaster). Let's do it! :D

0 comments: