Modelling Happiness

Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Don't even have to chase it, happiness is in the mind, just look into yourselves and you find it"

Since I began my life as an academic years ago, I quickly realise as an academic, research based on modelling is quite often, by that, it means building up of knowledge with an aim of getting an insight. Recently, I found some economists try to "model happiness"! Their findings show that people vary in term of their level of happiness by their educations, genders and even race.

Out of curiosity, I searched online for "happiness" in the eye of Buddhism. I took Buddhism studies in my school day and it has quite an impact on me. I found an article and it brings back what I learnt about this religion. From the article, I see that the main difference lies in the fact that, Buddhism puts "desire" on the front-line as the main deciding factor for happiness. Though, at times, this is hard when things are often in the grey region, rather than white or black. More importantly, however, is that there is this "non permanence" in everything as "change is constant", and so the more desire and the more we yearn for something, that "something" may not last forever over time, only left is, however, our reaction to "that something" in question, how we face it and how we deal with it and more importantly, are we aware of our reaction to it.

Therefore, sometimes, meditations might help us see the perspective because it helps us look at ourselves again and bring those issue back for reflection and if we can do that, we attain "happiness", as in the condition of "a state of mind", that way, you "create happiness", and that is possible. In the light of Buddhism, this should be the case despite your education, gender or even your race. There should be no inequalities, unlike what some economists had suggested.

0 comments: