Welcome to civilization

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Once I had made my decision it would not be easy for me to turn my head. I had come this far and overcome obstacles every step of the way, getting my grips and handle tight, as if rock climbing. Obviously, as always, things could have been better.

I feel I learn a bit more of myself and my potential to "make things happen" in the whole process. Having lived in this country, off and on, for about 10 years now, I see things slightly different from the locals, especially also being a foreigner. I have lived in Scotland most of the 10 years and you realized some cultural differences in term of peoples' behaviors. Certainly, I think the geographical location, and especially even more so if it is isolated, has a great impact on this. I remember a colleague, who is a Scottish in my former Institution, was commenting on issue relating to this, but however, was rebutted by another Colleague who is also Scottish as well. I just felt thankful at that moment that I am a foreigner, I am not biased by anything deep rooted in my cultural connection in this country that unable me to "let go" if I wanted to. That is why, making a move to a different part of this country to seek for new employment is not a very difficult decision to make. It is really just simple as that.

Climate change, how it affects people thinking and people interaction, should be an interesting area for research, but realistically, it does has an impact on people thinking. When I was asked in a recent induction, what I think of the workplace, I said that I think Loughborough is dynamic, because it is surrounded by other Universities of similar, if not, even better standard, and the more this motivated competitions and encourages a pragmatic sense of approach to problem solving and management, which I much prefer.

Indeed, when I told an English friend last year that I will be going to Loughborough, he immediately responded, "welcome to civilization", which I can see why now, :D

0 comments: