Preparing dinner is a therapy

Saturday, February 20, 2010

" Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.”
— Robert Fulghum


I struggled to make dinner tonight because I was feeling a little lazy on the weekend. I had set a routine to wash my dishes from the past evening and then do dinner, as this help save energy and water. But, this means doing dinner for me is fulfilling two tasks. Obviously, in the end, I get my dinner prepared and had my dinner tonight.

I realised setting routines, such as washing dishes and making dinner or even writing blogs end of each day is a good practice to help one's stay focus and keep things in perspective. I also especially like to listen to music while making my dinner. I was listening to "going out with Alan's Carr" and half laughing at the silly and funny jokes he made with the call-in audiences. At times, I love listening soothing vocal jazz or dinner jazz while making dinner. I enjoy cutting my vegetables, mixing them together with spices, garlic, ginger and hot chilli powders and I also enjoy preparing my smoothie. I enjoy seeing my fruits, which consist of graph fruits, berry, carrots and lychee and the yougurt blended together in the smoothie mixer, always like them to be blended as smooth as possible and then I would add frozen strawberry, mango and Avocado pieces and blend them all again, and when finished put aside in the fridge for later after dinner.

As I fulfilled each task, things get completed and I am pleased. This means I can be ready to get on to the next task, which for today was doing my crunches and then have my shower, while I left my rice to be cooked and the vegetable to be steamed all in the same cooker.

Finishing this task just reminded me I should do the same for all other tasks, research, teaching, swimming, etc, i.e., not be distracted by bad days, for example, in order for tasks to be completed. This simple task of doing my dinner and cooking has some good, but strange therapeutic effects, it's a reinforcement on the importance of completions of anything you do in life, and never ever let anything takes over, and to follow the flow and keep moving as it could potentially brings positive vibes surrounding your everyday life.

0 comments: