Right timing is good timing

Thursday, February 25, 2010

"take things one at a time because there is always a right time for everything"

I am still exploring different ways to deal with my Tuesday's lecture. What's becoming clear to me, however, is that, I began to realise an efficient way to prepare my lecture material, as I gain better understanding of a few things affecting the way I work. Things are slowly in control as I began to see ways to my delivery of the lecture material to help students concentrate better. For example, I had contacted the IT to order a green laser pointer, in which the colour could still be very visible 10 metres away from the screen. I decided to get a better laser pointer because I find walking around, rather than standing still at one point makes it better for students to get the attention, also not to make them feel they are not being "left alone". It helps boosts moral and concentration in class and cut down the noise level.

I feel I don't have to make hard lecture copies earlier in the week and I only need one day to do this job. I used to be worried that there would not be "enough time". Things are not as bad, so one day should be fine. I therefore could spend time doing my slides properly and clearly, and only need to put on the website after my lecture. The drawback of making copies earlier is that if I decided to include new material later, it will make it hard for the students to follow while in the lecture, though I might still put the notes on the website.

I still don't quite get it with my Tuesday's students. They look "blank" on their face and you just not sure if they understand or not, though on Tuesday, I did have students asking me questions while we were doing some exercises in the lecture together. Sometimes, I suspect it could also be the lecture theatre at fault. I hate this, 25 rows of benches with no stairs in the middle, only on both extreme right and left side of the theatre, making it feel very suffocating, and having a class between 4 pm to 6 pm, how wrong a timing is that, and with 230 students in a single theatre, it's no joke.

I kind of feel that, though it is true, like some colleagues said, that noises are one big factor affecting you when you give lecture, but honestly, I find myself not being able to think too much or being bothered by it too much if you think you had done your best to cut down on noise volume, because my job is there to give the lecture, and more importantly, there are others in the lecture who are serious and want to listen to the lecture. I should think of them a bit more and so the more I should get on with it.

Tomorrow lecture at 9 am is the one that I had my first lecture last week. I enjoyed this lecture. I am thinking this will be fine as I spent quite a lot of time today preparing the material, hope tomrrow's lecture gives me good vibes so that I will be motivated a bit for my next Tuesday's lecture. However, next Friday session at 9 am will be my last lecture and while I might miss giving one lecture that I had enjoyed very much I gain extra time for me to do my research, which is not a bad thing. So, at the end of it, I think I am going to focus on my strength to help me improve my lecturing job (just remember of Whitney Houston, as I wrote this :D)

0 comments: