whether you are happy..

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"it worked out quite similarly like a zero-sum game"

I met two friends today. Both were my High School's mates. I should say both are of different stages in their career too. ZW is now a VP of international Sales in a Major MNC firm, while KH, still seems to me, finding its way getting a grip of what he is best at. All of us are of the same age. It is often easier to open up and share with friends of the same age, as we share similar things a lot more than others. As we open up the conversation, I realise a bit more about their attitudes and what they value. ZW, as far as I remember, inspired to have their own family, wants to settle down and have a good career, by the time he reached xx year old, which I think he already get it now. As for KH, he seemed to have up and down for the past few years in his life, which unfortunately, I was not being updated about, but that was also because I was not close with him, job change, sales of his business and divorce, all seemed drastic to me.

I am also lucky to have found my footing after all these days. There are obviously pros and cons in the UK compared to Singapore. Taxation is not something my friends like, but pension scheme is something not everyone understand. Pension crisis happens everywhere affected by factors such as aging population, and so is Singapore, and that should not make a different. KH also commented the high rank pay of professorship is "not very high", but I supposed that is depending on exchange rate and what one is looking for.

At one point, ZW even suggested I come back to teach in Singapore. SIM, ploy, etc, which I was not too sure because they are not really proper University. I find KH needs some solid speciality for him to excel in his career, which I also suggested to him. At the end of the day, you win some and you lose some. It worked out quite similarly like a zero-sum game. It is where you are and where you worked and whether you are happy, that matters.

0 comments: