Buying what you need or what you like?

Sunday, April 24, 2011

"..this is hard, especially facing attractive bargains!"

I had never been this relaxed. I have been enjoying myself over the past few days. Finding myself on top of things and able to focus on doing light hearted stuff in an organized way, and not letting too much work stuff get in the way, which is unlike me, but it's a good thing. I am relaxing and I am also focused. At least I had tried and I achieved an acceptable level of mindset. So, today I carried on with my list of unfinished tasks following from yesterday. Well, now I am looking at bargains.

I collected quite a number of shopping vouchers of a few high street stores, amounting to more than £100. Among these vouchers I have, Tesco has the most creative way of appealing to the customer. You can actually exchange for 2 times the amount of vouchers you have on hand. For example, a £5 vouchers might qualify you to purchase something worth £10. I thought it's really brilliant. Obviously, Tesco restricts on the type of goods you can buy and also there is a deadline for doing so. I have about £15 worth of vouchers from Tesco and find that it might be worthwhile to get a new mobile phone. I have used my current one for about 4 years now, I think. I didn't feel I want a smart phone, but don't mind a new one with a QWERTY keypad, and also have some Internet usage. I found one known as T-mobile Unity Black, which I like, but found that I can only use £10 of my vouchers, instead of the total £15 I have. This means that I need to pay another £19 in top of that to pay for the price of £39.07. Then I remember I have some gift card worth about £20, but then didn't feel I want to use them, since the gift card has no expiry, and I can wait for more interesting offers later on.

I was struggling today because my vouchers have an expiry date and they must be spent within the next one year or so. Then I tried to look for other alternative T-mobile phones. I didn't find very many that suit my needs. At the end of it, I seriously asked myself do I really need another mobile phone afterall? Honestly, the current one is usable and what I really need is for my phone to be unlocked, so I can use SIM card if I visit Singapore next time. After some quick soul searching, I decided that I maybe will spend my vouchers on footwear. For example, sandal that I can wear in the flat or a watch, since my current one is not working anymore. I can go on without a watch, since the mobile phone has a timer too. Therefore I can wait, the watch is an option. Finally, I decided that I will go to Tesco tomorrow and look around for potential valued bargains and see how I would like to spend my vouchers.

If you like shopping, you probably confused what you like with what you need sometimes. However, if you like a bargain, just like me, it will be even more confusing, if you know what I meant. Well, let's just make sure we manage out finances well and not let it go out of hand too often, especially when facing bargains.

0 comments: