De-cluttering

Sunday, April 10, 2011

".... but what purpose does that serves?"

It seems that cluttering is one of the main hindrance for a minimalist's lifestyle. Cluttering stops you for having a very "clear" life, it's too crowded. We talked about this the other day, claiming that it might begin from your mindset. Your perception is the key, what gone through your mind feedback on your perception and affect your impression on things. A straightforward way to deal with this, is to be honest with how you feel, tracing on your feeling as to where it starts affect you, could help you to get down to the main problem. Often, and especially if you are the sensitive type person, you might not even be aware what actually affected you and your thinking.

What we see from our eyes affect our thinking, despite our level of intelligence, across the board, it affects everyone the same. Today, I thought I tried my hand at some "de-cluttering". Though I carelessly deleted 8 of my blog posts, I did cut down on the number of labels I have on my blog, that way the theme becomes more consolidated and I did felt "neater" after that, as I also updated some layouts of my blog, making it look a bit refreshing. I did find I experience some changes in my thinking after writing blog for a about a year. Therefore, these changes made reflected and represented me in a more realistic light.

What is the after effect of de-cluttering then? I think the purpose of de-cluttering as much as it might be an advocate from the minimalist's perspective, it is also a pre-condition for staying focus. I am slowly adapting some of the techniques I found in the books I read (by the way, I find it more productive reading a few books of a similar topic areas all at one time. It is a bit of a marginal reading. This means you read a bit of one book tonight, and then a few bits of another the following night, and so on. You find interesting similarities among them, and building together you can custom made a simple model for "self-help" for your own purpose). I am thinking, observing the breathing process is perhaps a good exercise to train your mind to stay focus. Russ Harris in his "The Happiness Trap" page 115, wrote this "Slow, deep breathing is important because it lower the level of tension in your body. It won't get rid of your feeling (either good or bad), but it will provide a center of calm within you....." For me, this center of calm helps you to say concentrated and focused on anything you want to get on.

There is a time for the mind to wander about and there is time for it to stay focus and work. De-cluttering helps create conditions for "focus" to take place, However, there is only a place and a time for one thing. Your thought should only be allocated to things one at a time. Unfortunately, I was not quite successful in this department today. I was thinking about work, while what I seemed to be doing was designing my blog, playing bubble, and then going out to the shop. I should really decide what is best and just go for it. Being indecisive on what to do and have the thought lingering about the mind is quite tiring and unproductive. I should really make full use of my time, make it better next time round.

0 comments: