My double bed orthopaedic mattress

Thursday, April 21, 2011

".... I am perhaps quite used to simple living, to the extent the meaning of "living standard" does not actually mean anything."

My double bed mattress arrived. This is really a "Big step" for me. I have moved to Loughborough for more than a year now, and have been sleeping on a thin but soft mattress. I was too lazy to get stuff sorted around the flat. One former colleagues told me it took her about one year to get settled down when she moved from Australia to Aberdeen. I guess for me, this felt like a time that I can consider myself "settled".

I did think for a while before I bought anything "bulky", just in case if I moved to another flat, be it rental or ownership of a new flat, I don't want to have too many baggage. Now I am more convinced that I probably will stay here for a while before I move again, so I go ahead to make some "bulky" purchases. Actually this should not matter. We can always ask mover company to help with the transport. However, I seem able to tolerate living with less. I am perhaps quite used to simple living, to the extent the meaning of "living standard" does not actually mean anything.

I had a chat with a good friend KA the other day. Like me, KA loves a bargain, but he understands the "quality" of life better than I do, and he knows when not to compromise on prices and when one should really just go for a bargain. He often shares with me what sort of stuff he considered as good quality and often proud to share with me his successful hunt. I really "seriously considered" the quality before I bought the double bed mattress. Now, I went for a double bed orthopaedic mattress. I did have a strange obsession to go for the bottom of the price for anything I buy. I need to remind myself time and again, I can live " a little better" and I still won't bankrupt. Perhaps that was a habit I picked up when I was little.

However, I didn't let this obsession affect me this time. For this orthopaedic mattress I bought, I could have just gone down to the bottom list of the price and get the cheapest, but I didn't. After some thoughts, I consider the quality and pay a bit more, and still a good bargain given it cost £99, compared to some on tescodirect for example, which could be as high as £120. This double bed mattress took up lesser spaces than I thought. It gives new opportunities to rearrange my room, and made me love it even more. I even tided up the little corner that I placed my baby laptop and bring in a huge stand-alone lamp from the living room and put it next to my mattress, so that I can read with the light on before I slept sometimes, without having to get up later and switch the lights off whenever I want to sleep. In any case, I felt "whole" again, as if I had cleared some of my "clutters".away.

There are a few things I should really get it sorted out, including personal finances and my pension. Purchasing this double bed mattress took one item off my list, and now I am looking down the list to clear some more......

0 comments: