disruption is not so bad

Monday, April 11, 2011

"If you know the difference between thought and feeling...."

After writing yesterday's post about "De-cluttering", I began to see the rationale for having a "to do" list everyday. I think this is just so that you don't pile up things too much to the extent they become your clutters. I remember I also talked about procrastination when facing a "to do" list before.  What if you had disruptions in the midst of doing your stuff. And yes it happened today. Unexpected popped up during the day and disrupt my "to do" list!

1) Disruption 1(D1) : Saw J-Lu in the kitchen encouraged her to go the away day next Monday and told her not necessarily to present the research, which I later found out not to be the case.

2) Disruption 2(D2) : Discuss my pension with RW and had a bit of thinking, which was not planned before hand.

D1 is silly and stupid all out of my instant "feeling". Told J-Lu about it and then later checked with LF, and found that she wanted all PhD students to present, so it is a no no, she HAS to present the research. I emailed back to J-Lu and told her about it, silly as I felt I was, apologize for the confusion and she replied to say she won't want to attend this time.

D2 is not as bad, except that as it is money matter concern, I thought I need some second opinion. I was very close to decide upon an AVC and/or MP AVC with prudential. As RW recently took out his MP AVC, since he is reaching about 55 year old soon, he is often happy to share with me his experience, which is all fine. It is just me needing some time to "sort" things out and clearly first before I decide to participate in either the AVC or MP AVC scheme or both. Still, it was unplanned and took some time away.

If "to-do" list helped one de-clutter, and enforcing focus, then Disruption challenges one to distinguish between thought and feeling. I find that  Richard Carlson's "you can be happy no matter what" is a good source to help you with that. It explains in details the difference among feeling, thought and emotion. More to come on this one, but I just highlight that, page 75 of his book, which he wrote "Understanding where our feelings come from allows us to use them as directional guide they were meant to be. If our internal experience of life isn't pleasant, we know we are creating our own misery via our own thought system." is helpful to me with regard to D1, as I was feeling silly about myself on that one. Yes, we only have ourselves to blame if we create our own misery. In addition, keeping oneself calm helps promote good thought system, which also cultivate good common sense. As Russ Harris's book suggests, breathing is good way to help to create calmness. All well, ends well, and the life will end well :D

0 comments: