"Happiness" is Cheap!

Sunday, April 03, 2011

 "Yes and in fact, I just got one that cost me only 20 pence!"

Sunday is often a time that you feel "settled". It's a day you tend to do the washing, hoovering the flat, and get ready for the new week to come. So, Sunday's evening, after dinner time is the best time of the week. Normally, one of those "to do" list on my plate will be preparing for lecture, which I don't have to do this time as there is a 4-week Easter breaks ahead of me. Today is therefore relatively relaxed. I went for my swim as usual and then went to the public library and found a surprise book sales, all at 20 pence. I had a quick browse and found a book titled, "You can be Happy No Matter What" and I bought it.

This book is an easy-read. Perhaps it looks like another "self-help" book, but more importantly, I am interested to see what sort of "happiness" that this book is making out of. Honestly, who needs another self-help book when all that people talk about these days are "happiness" and "mindfulness". There's loads of similar stuff around and they keep on repeating.

I had a couple of other similar "self-help" book of this sort. They all central around the "happiness" issues. One of them talk about using the "mindfulness" technique, the other more creatively, taking the standpoint of "Time Management" to see how proper use of meaningful time can have "happiness" moment. When there are too many books written on the same issue, don't you think such "happiness" topic is becoming very cheap. Indeed, I just bought one that cost only 20 pence! Still, I guess it is interesting to read them and be aware of the style these authors adopt. Each of them see it from different angles, and similar ideas go round and round, each reinforces the other and when it reaches you, it just helped you gain a different perspective altogether and allow you to have your own conclusion about "happiness". If you know how to read a self-help book properly, you could end up gaining a lot more from them than most do! :D

0 comments: