It's the "thoughts" that (don't) "count"!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Yes, what was I thinking? maybe they were just "thoughts"

I returned home yesterday to find my fridge/freezer not working anymore. Those frozen breads gone all soft and the fridge not very cool. I was a little "stressed". I can remember under normal situation, I would be "thinking a lot" over this matter and not letting it rest (because I just can't!). Now, however, is an interesting time to challenge myself to be more of an expert facing situation like this.

Let's "rewind" what happen at that instant. Well, upon knowing my fridge/freezer not working, my first thought was, oh no, another headache, what a shame, it has been going on so well so far. By that, I can tell I am more of a perfectionist and this is doing me no good. I also thought about calling the agency to report the matter last night. Then the next thing come to the mind was, perhaps the owner would not want to support this, or replaced a new one if there was a real fault in it. Anyway, that was last night, I went to bed still a bit affected by the matter, but I kind of feel still manageable, perhaps it was all a bit like thought lingering about my head.

This morning obviously the problem still remains, but I got on my day. I do my usual smoothie, get my dinner prep ready and then I call the agency to report the matter. Still have the "fear" what if they refuse to help. I mean you cannot discount the possibility for that to happen. Anyway, call them to report in the first instance. The agency was a bit sympathetic about it and I also appeared understanding, given the bank holiday period over the next few days. Therefore, I cannot expect too soon the problem to be fixed. But I did say I would like to hear from them by today. I got on my day after that feeling quite "sane" as I seemed able to "let the matter rest" as best as possible. I had further thoughts about this, well perhaps it is only money matter, getting another fridge if the owner refuses to do so. I could even suggest that I would pay additional £10 per month in "compensating" the owner for buying a new fridge, even though I shouldn't since it was in the contract the fridge is in fair condition and it is stated that it was provided, so it should be, but out of goodwill I am happy to put additional £10 more for that. Honestly, even with additional £10, I am still getting an above average good deal for the rental I paid. The whole feeling about the fridge/freezer seems died away itself and the whole matter became less gloomy.

It's strange how sometimes feeling can change at different times of the day or perhaps in different places. I guess the attitude to the matter and the subsequent possible effects are the main reasons for the change. I guess I used to view similar incidents a bit like "coming to the end of the road" and it could have "hard hit" effects. However, that could be just a thought and not what it could materialize. I learned from this incident that, taking one at a time and remain settled could help. At times, the breathing exercise that I had been practicing helps. It enhanced the "calmness" in the mind, which is important to deal with similar events or even worst events.

0 comments: