Hereafter

Saturday, April 16, 2011

 "How do you deal with the lost of a loved one?"

"Hereafter" is another movie I watched recently. The story linked three different segments together, each involving some relations to the issue of death. This relation to death is different to that of "Norwegian Wood". It is the effect it has on people and how they cope with it based on the extent that death matters to them. Basically, this involves a segment on a young boy who lost his twin brother in an accident and how he missed him to the extent he sought out medium to communicate with him. The second segment is about a French journalist who was almost killed in a Tsunami and finally is about Matt Damon who is a reluctant psychic, who is often devastated by the truth behind the story of one's grieve for their loved one.

The story as it developed bring the main character in all three segments together. The French journalist got together with Matt Damon while the young boy with the help of Matt Damon finally communicated with his dead brother, who told him to "move on" and "get on with this life". I was quite moved especially by the little boy's longing for his dead brother, and even more felt so sorry for him, as he kept wearing the cap that belongs to his dead brother.

However, I was very drawn to the character of Matt Damon. I seemed able to relate to him a lot more. I cannot explain why. There's perhaps some sort of similarity, I supposed. He claimed the "gift" that he has, i.e., the ability to communicate with "the other world" is a "curse". It does not make him happier as a person, as he was often left devastated knowing the background and especially when communicating with the dead, as it is so sad. I like the fact that, he decided to leave United States, to go to London to visit the "Dickens's house" as Charles Dickens is his favourite author. This is like a form of de-cluttering I supposed. Moving away and breath helps clear his mind. As the movie ends, we saw him having a coffee with the French journalist. We don't know if his pain about the "curse" still haunt him, but we can tell it felt a bit of hope in the air for him. Obviously, living in the real world, I would have thought the "pain" will come to haunt him time and again. Perhaps you may not be affected by it, but it will still be there somewhere in your head, lingering about.

I downloaded the soundtracks of this movie from spotify. I totally love it. Most tracks sounded the same, but it uses different instruments. Each track time and again brought me back to the movie and reminded me about Matt Damon and his pain, and it relates to me in a strange sort of way and it heals me and my pains too. I played the tracks a lot and enjoy listening to them. Here's a sample of the track from YouTube.

0 comments: