BI still brings to me inspirations, ......

Thursday, March 25, 2010

"In life, you win some and you lose some......"

I found BI's published paper on the web. This brings me back to my memories while at HW and the supervision under him during my PhD. I was really happy for him for that published paper. Before I forget, he had already been in HW for 14 years, and was not promoted, some say it was because he does not have publications. During those years at HW, he was not the most popular of all, people often have things that were negative to say about him. The only thing I could remember was the time he told me his supervisor passed away, he was so upset, especially when he showed me his research work that his supervisor so appreciated and impressed. BI came across as a really nice guy, but as he was my supervisor, it is not possible for me to see him in the similar light, since there are often issues about the way he supervised me and how I have to deal with it. It is not easy.

I also cannot forget how I had to make him sign off the document when submitting the final draft of my PhD, as if pointing a gun by his head. He just didn't give me the assurance and he is "all over the place". I just could not imagine how I managed to get through those 3 years full time, and 3 year part-time PhD under him. But now I am really happy for him to see him getting his research published, though that was dated 2009. I check back the website and can see that he had some new colleague joining the department, who were doing similar areas of research as him, which is all the better for him to pursue his research interest.

I have to say, up till today, I am still very fascinated by him, he has the deep knowledge of a certain research topic that made me appeal to him. I had printed out that published paper of his and would read at some points, and see how he built up the knowledge. As I was saying yesterday about "doing my own research", though BI's published paper might not be the area of research I am necessarily going to pursue, it is, however, a feeling telling you that you are reading something closed to your heart, and it also tell you, it is only worth doing things like this, such that it gives you a feel that the topic is something that makes you "feel at home". This will affect the way you think about the topics and how it develops and subsequently how it is going to be written.

BI was an inspiration during my time at HW, perhaps he was not experienced as a supervisor, and I become his experiment, but it does forced me to become better too, as I also have a paper published in a 3* Journal, but unlike him, I am the single author. Though every new paper submitted to Journal is a new beginning, but at least, I can be sure I can take good care of the whole research and paper writing process, something which I now had an experience doing so. Perhaps it is just a blessing in disguise having BI as a supervisor.

0 comments: