Building Research Expertise

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"There is really no short-cut to become an expert,...... "

I cannot help, but kept thinking about the issue arising from and related to the retirement of senior member of staff who are also lead figure in the area of research. Sometimes you do asked yourselves what would you want people to associate you with, twenty years down the road when you are "relatively more established". I agree collaboration with other experienced people or with better expertise would enhance your profile, but one really should not rely on that ALONE to build up a research career. So, do you know your area of research? how do you like people to start recognising you as your expertise.

One other reason why I am drawn to this, is also because I can "afford" to do so, as I have met my research target of 4 publications (with a 4* and a 3* Journals among them) for the next REF exercise. This means I have more times to build upon the quality of my research. I did give sometimes reflected upon my profile of research and realised from my discussion with WF that, one needs to be recognised in a certain field in the long term if one takes his research seriously.

It came to my mind many times in the past about building a diversified research profile consisting of research projects with others, and those that I worked on my own. And I think I really should start thinking seriously about "working on my own area" as building part of my research profile. I already have a paper published in a 3* Journal, so I think I can further that line of research to make it bigger and better.

There are a lot to think about when doing research, once committed, it is time and efforts invested for the next 18 months and that is no joke. Research is also about how you want to be perceived and what you want to build up as your expertise, something even more important that cannot be ignored to build up a successful Research Career.

0 comments: