The source of concentration - calmness

Tuesday, March 09, 2010


I was quite "awake" today, which was rather unusual. I didn't feel quite bored or unhappy before the lecture at 4 pm. There is some calmness in me (somewhere), I believe. My mind was quite "active" and wanted to "do some work", but I restrained myself from doing so, as I was waiting for the time to lecture and I don't want to disrupt what I was doing half way through. I was telling myself at the time I wanted to finish reading JL's draft, draft out exam questions and sort out the on-line link for students to do their practice exercises. I also have to look at a Ph.D. application, before Friday.

I also think of my former student's thesis and my suggested area of research that I like to do with him, so that's another task on the list. There arises a very clear sense of thinking, not crowded and also neat. At that point, I knew why. I believe it must be I had finished my final lecture last week for "company finance" and now have a sense of "surplus" and I wanted to "make good" use of it. Still, a sense of "calmness" dominated. I believe this should help (?)

Then I had my lecture and I finished it before everyone else, including me, fell and slept (I mean it's a 4 pm to 6 pm lecture and to maintain productivity, it is good to just give enough lecture for the sense of mental concentration). I had a brief reflection , considering the feedback from students during the lecture, I had a quick thought what I wanted to do next week, I cannot say I regained my "calmness" as quickly as I had wanted, but I know I am in good control, though those hell boys and girls are still quite noisy and I just have to get on what I was lecturing about in class. I hope the "calmness" is here to stay for me, as it is just the important thing to help me concentrate with whatever I do, either work or play.

0 comments: