Experiencing the Wales' weather

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It may be the start of the British Summer Time, the weather is still very uncertain at time. I am in Cardiff today for two days attending the BAA conference 2010. I was excited the day before and was looking forward to it. The train took about 3 hours to Cardiff and I was disappointed to find that there was not even a socket available at any point in the train. I therefore cannot even watched the "Friday night with Jonathon" that I downloaded earlier on my hard-drive to be watched on BBC iplayer.

When arriving at Cardiff about 11.35 am, the weather was unbelievably cold and windy. I think between 4 and 6 degrees. Luckily the hotel was only 2 minutes walk from the station and I do like my hotel room, very zen and minimial. Then I head towards the city hall in which the conference was held. I had lunch in their lower hall and met up old colleauges and had nice chats.

My presentation went on well. I was a little nervous to start, but later I get more encouraged knowing people were paying attention and showing some interests. There were interesting questions from the audience, and I answered them. I only wished I had a bit more time so that I can explain things a little slower and give more information. I had nice chat afterward with another participant, it was nice because I was able to engage with people about my research and they listen attentive showing their interest. I also met a German who did similar research with mine and who I also gave some feedback.

During the evening, we went out for a meal with some conference attendents and sat next to a chinese academic from a Wales University. We exchange lots of idea about doing research and he seems like having a really good potiental. I was, however, caught in a rather heavy rain on my way back, but after all, I had enjoyed my presentation and share thoughts and experience about my research. That is all that matter, never mind the weather. :D

0 comments: