The Busness of Knowledge Building

Thursday, March 04, 2010

"It's about thinking, it's not about research!"

Something good about my current institution is that when people discuss about research, they genuinely share with you what they think about research and not required you to do the same topic areas as them in order for you to benefit from the discussion. This is a very open minded approach. For example, I have been reminded by WF about my research not being "very finance" sometimes, and he will follow on to tell you what he thinks his research is about. And normally, if I reply with my opinion, he will be very supportive about it. Such discussion is good because it keeps your thinking cap on. Yes, it's about thinking and to be aware. It's not entirely about research, but will help you more perceptive and sharper in your approach to research, as you begin to think about what you want and what suits you best.

We had RW to our department to give a yesterday. I am not sure about the depth and speciality of his research or what he considers his research area to be about. But, as I can see, the strength of RW, as I told WF is that, I think he has a good sense of building knowledge. This helps him develop his research, step by step, one level over another and keep building on that. I think for any researchers, such approach of knowledge building is very important. It helps you to expand your scope and then develop as a niche in the end.

I also like to discuss with LM about research. He is so down-to-earth and very keen to share genuine and honest opinion. I am glad I am able to share research thinking and discussion with these fairly experienced colleague. Seeing them makes me think about how I want to develop myself and what I want to be known as 10 years down the road. It forces me to think about in what way I want to be associated or identified with in my research areas. This helps me carve my pave carefully every step of the way.

In any case, I am also glad so far, I had got a couple of opportunities in the current institution to have had discussed research with colleagues from other disciplines, such as operational research, which I am quite excited and hope to be able to work with them one day.

0 comments: