Here comes Mr Smoothie!!

Monday, May 10, 2010

".. and also a bit of a Mr Slippery..."

I talked about "be very careful" and about being helpful to be ABOUT YOU and today I experienced an incident in the office, just reminded me of someone among my colleagues who could be much the same as the way I describe it. He is very smooth and well mannered, and just charmed you into discussing anything he brought up, though you might find it weird. Like he would say he doesn't like to go conference, because it is spending taxpayer's money, but I thought we can claim back the money we spend during the conference attendance period. So, I don't quite get him.

He was recently asked to check colleagues' exam paper, which happened to have massive errors. He did asked me to take a look, which I did, and which surprised me a lot because he seemed to know those errors himself and seemed not doing anything about it, except sending emails to the colleagues concerned who in-charged of the exam papers, and not quite directing to him what errors he had committed. In the end, LF (i.e., our group leader) had to contact me and asked me to help out. It seemed the "smooth colleauge" had too much of this colleauge who commit the errors. I simply contacted the colleagues who set the exam paper and told him directly of the errors he made and he changed it, just as simple as that.

I don't quite understand why the "smooth" colleague want to waste so much time doing those "unnecessary thing". This actually ate into a bit of my planned research time today, though by time my day ended for work, I did had some considerable amount of work done with JR. How should I deal with the "smooth" colleague. He is the type of person that I had described yesterday and that is, being helpful to him is ABOUT HIM, i.e., he might want some help in the end and he is doing so to be helpful so he can get a little more from you than you to him. I cannot let someone like this filled in too much of my thought, though I also have to be careful with him from now on.

0 comments: