Quality times

Friday, May 21, 2010

I worked from home today and this time it felt so different. I was writing a book review and I will be paid for that. I also worked on research with JR. The weather was great. My flat felt so warm and lovely and with the sunshine outside, it really motivated me. As I thought back, I felt I really had some quality times doing those tasks which I was quite pleased.

Research with JR - I finally got down to the issue I needed some attention. This means I must get some additional information from JR and that the final result will be slightly different to that found in JR's dissertation. It also felt a lot easier now that I adopted the note-writing style of tracking my thinking in the research process. As I wrote this, it reminded me of the research tasks I needed for tomorrow. They will be at rather earlier stage and involved lots of searches. Normally, I tend to enjoy a bit more on research at an early stage as it is more like sourcing for concrete ideas and always looking for potential of scope.

Book Reviews - I did two book reviews this week. All of them are on topics of a good familiarity. I even use of the textbook in my course in the past. At one point, I was thinking perhaps one day I could write my own book. that seems like a "good thing", but as WF will tell you, it adds no value to research, as books get outdated and it is only research that is "updated". But if you manage it well, you can do so and still being research active, so book review is a good start to help you see how others write their books since you are the one giving review, this gives you insight into the various challenges facing writing a textbook.

0 comments: