Research presentation

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I am glad today is finally over. In fact, I am happy this week is almost coming to an end. I had few things all come together this week, including the last lecture I gave for my course. And today I also gave a presentation on my housing market research to my departmental colleagues. This research is at its final stage and about to send out to an academic journal. Honestly, I didn't feel quite excited presenting it, mainly because I had spent quite a lot of time doing this research and I find that it is time to "move on", i.e., I am not keen to further innovate my research methodology or incorporate further ideas into my paper. But some colleagues still find the research interesting and had some discussions, which I am glad. GS raise some issues about the methodology, which is totally out of my control since it was MW who is preparing this. But I noted his points and brought it up with MW after the presentation, in which I also highlighted to MW we have to "get on with this paper" as it's being dragged too long.

Perhaps due to the stage of the paper that it is in, I find I am able to "defend" it better, in the sense of explaining it in term of "completion of the story" and "the potential readership of the paper". I am secretly happy with this as our RGC is also in the audience and that he is "watching" and I am not surprise he asked me about which journal I am sending to. I told him "Urban Studies" and he asked if it is listed in ABS (which of course it's listed), and I told him it is rated a 3*. He later said it is fine even if the journal was not listed in ABS, but I kind of find that he mind, and I told him that as my collaborator MW is purely a housing market researcher, we do discuss the journal that suits both of us, with regards to the panel for the REF exercise.

I felt a bit relieve after the research presentation, I then quickly did my exam paper amendment and got them signed off by the end of the day. Tomorrow and the day after, I finally have some times on my own to do research, though there will be a school wide research strategy meeting tomorrow, which I will be attending. Let's see if anything new can be learnt from those lead the sessions. I am eagerly looking forward to that. :D

0 comments: