The impact factor

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"... what an "impact" does "firing" have? Ask the academics..."

Today's meeting is one of the main event in the school. According to our record, there are 64 members of staff in the business school. I like the way big meeting like this conducted over here. Points are always so clearly listed and quickly bit by bit it went through quickly, with the least interruptions.

One issue normally being discussed is in relation to research. JMA who is the research director, is quite impartial, still not lacking in encouragement in his words when he tries to "push" research activities. I guess research is one of the hardest to measure performance, because the benchmark is usually quite hard to be chosen. One aspect of benchmark is what we call the impact factor. This is something which generally is known to be "research being applicable and utilized outside the academia". This is important, apart from publishing in good quality journals. I had a look at the research topics of a impact value and find the following areas to be quite interesting.

1) Girls' awareness of scientific careers

2) Sex workers in London, Soho (not sure if my colleagues really interview the prostitutes, cool, huh?)

3) Soccer clubs' hiring and firing of managers

4) Information systems for the Beijing and London Olympics

The above topics are some areas from some of my even more ambitious colleagues. Academics do have a vision. Anyway, the meeting also mentioned about potential funding to come alone in the near future, rising hope of the possibility for a PhD applicant in which BB and I were interested in pursuing. The meeting ended in under two hours. I felt well informed and then I get back to my work as usual.

0 comments: