While I was waiting, ....

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"... this is not the tail of the dog, rather the tail (risk) of hedge funds..."

She came at about 5 pm, and I waited her for about 4 hours in total. The visit was a quick one. She took the pad, asked me few questions, including, "so how long you plan to stay here". I told her, long term I supposed, why you asked, is this because the owner wants to sell the flat. then she said, no, no that is just the routine. Fine! Then she walked round the flat, which was well kept and tidy (as usual) and 15 minutes later, she left. I was like the last flat she visited today and as I heard her singing on the way out, I just hope that she is really happy about the visit, rather than I am the last flat she is visting for the day.

I didn't totally waste my 4 hours while waiting. I was surfing the web mostly, searching for information on statistical test that seems not able to be executed on SPSS. So I called the University's helpdesk and they said perhaps the "mathematics education" department can help. It is interesting that they have an in-house statistical drop-in/consultancy session, so I booked for a time to meet one of the guys on Thursday. I also did some search and find all sorts of story about "tails" which I am sure JL will be very interested. It's quite funny the way they relate the statistical theory to "tail", which make sense. This paper that I read and found quite hilarious, "the tail that wags the hedge fund dogs". I cannot help laughing. This "tail" is about "risk", this is an area of research that I am currently doing. Just that, this is not the tail of the dog, rather the tail (risk) of hedge funds. :D

0 comments: