Free lunch?

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Something I like about my institution is that since I joined last August, I have had attended quite a number of "dos". The lunches, dinners celebrating colleagues' retirements, mostly (this however does not mean we are an old folk home, haha!) Of course, I also went out with colleagues for meals, so I do have "get togethers" and a "social life" and today, we have a thank you lunches for a colleague who stepped down recently as an acting position. So, we have free lunch today. Of course, who won't like a free lunch, but when they start to serve red wine, white wine during lunch, it gets a bit strange, perhaps this is to raise to the occasions, but having wine in the afternoon, are we promoting alcoholism here?

I remembered the last time we had an afternoon lunch event, I drank some white wine, forgetting that I had to meet students after that and this made me feel really strange in front of my student.

Furthermore, such free lunch comes only once in a while and when this happens you tend to spoil yourselves and ate a bit more than normal, which then made you sleepy afterward, and which is even worst when you have to attend meeting afterward. And this happened today. I was sleepy and tired, and the meeting, fair enough, was productive and quick in resolving issues, but I was still tired and sleepy.

When the meeting finished, and I got back to my office, it took me so long to pick myself up from where I stopped before the lunch event, to carry on what I was doing. At the end of the day, it looks as if the lunch is FREE, but there is really a price to pay here.

0 comments: