The quest continues..

Sunday, May 02, 2010

"I am still doing the same thing, but for different reason now"

Today I carried on my quest to "position myself" and was surfing the web most of my day. I found who my potential competitors were and also looked at some similar research papers in my area. The search process reminded me of my early days while doing my PhD, when I was doing my PhD literature searches. At this stage, doing these searches are entirely different experience. I am still doing the same thing, but for different reason now. Doing the search and reading the papers are good training to the mind, it helps you remains perceptive and sharp.

I also quite keen looking at some early work produced in my research area of interest. Latest work in the same area obviously are more invaluable, but earlier work pointed out good research areas and potential gaps overlooked by much later researches. Earlier papers are also good because they tend to be "more organic", and brings out main idea and argument clearer, that way it helps you build up the knowledge, by going back to early and alternative sources.

As I am not doing my PhD now, the main intended outcome of using these material and resource is to produce academic research paper, the time and effort invested are no longer expected to be as massive as those in my PhD day, and the more one must be aware of one's weaknesses and strength in pursuing work like this, which explain why collaborations are very important. However, I am still keen to look into few areas that I find "within reach" from where I stopped and believe that given times, I should be able to sort them out. Perhaps I should be more flexible about this, a read on other areas of similar areas should help me decide how I want to do this in the end.

0 comments: