PhD supervision

Friday, May 07, 2010

"I am seeing this as an opportunity to build up skill on supervising, and to seek opportunities for publication like the way I handled JR dissertation in the past"

It's been a rather crazy week, apart from meeting that deals with modules that needs modifications because they are too similar and reading exam papers that prove a PAIN, I also dealt with some PhD applications. I now learnt this is going to be a common thing in my job here. So, having a PhD student, though it might be important that the student must be of good quality, it is also an experience that helped you gain merit points for career progression.

The other day I received a good PhD application and thought BB and I would be very suitable to supervise, and I took it to BB for a look and we both agree the student has good potential and we are keen to take on him, also because his area of research has got some that BB and I can guide, so it is a a good match. But the student also apply for studentship, and BB was quick to ask me check with TP to see if the allocation of funding has been approved, if so, then the student will not be getting any, no matter how potential he might be. As expected, the funding allocations have been finalised. That means, the students would have to be self-funded. Perhaps it will be unrealistic to expect THE BEST student, because you also need some experience in this area to build up your skill as well, and also for career advancement as said before, which is rather important.

I am therefore seeing my collaboration with JR a good entry point for me to learn skill on working with more junior people, such as my student, on research. In any case, I have indicated interest to supervise a PhD student who is confirmed coming to Loughborough and who also being funded by his country's government. I am seeing this as an opportunity for me to build up skill on supervising, as much as seeking opportunity for publication like the way I handled JR dissertation in the past, hope this turns out well.

0 comments: