Am I taking on "too much"?!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Oh TART, how lovely!:D"

Today I told WF I am like a "tart" because I am always "in talk" with people about research. Sometimes, you find this quite scary. Given a piece of research took 18 months complete from start to send out to Journal, you wonder how are you going to handle it when you take on "too much", especially now you also know you do get better control by doing research all by yourselves. I am not sure if it is simply a matter of telling yourselves, "take it easy" will do, because you still need to face it and get on with it. But it is a bit of a distraction when you have to do teaching related stuff like exam papers preparation, in which YS had given me lots of helps and advises today, which I much appreciated.

By the end of the day, I try to balance up my day with some "research". I emailed GS a couple of papers on the housing market. Yes, there is a time to stop being a "tart", because you do need to focus and keep a limit on the ranges of research you are undertaking at one time. It is no good to get over-stretch. WF was often very passionate when he talked about research and he did came across doing "too much", but then he is more experienced, so perhaps he can afford to do so.

A good way to deal with this, is to make sure I do something everyday about research, no matter how small they are, as long as there are some continuity and consistency, I can be ensure of being productive and get things on the move. Distraction stuff will get lesser and time can be occupied by more research eventually, which mean you have to work really hard, and that means lesser leisure activities.

0 comments: