Get over your nerves; get on with the crisis!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

"technological leverages can be so overlooked that it did not make people realise the extent they are dependent on it"

It's been quite a roller coaster for the past couple of days. I felt as if living between heaven and hell in just a split of seconds. This darling laptop I am currently using has been with me for about 3 years, we went through up and down so many times. As far as I can remember, it has been "rebulit" after two years, in which I learnt the lesson NOT to use Internet Explorer because it has some really "bad technology" that crashes your systems often and leading to under performance of your computer. The second time was earlier this year in Februrary when it was attacked by malware. That was quite easily sorted. Now, the third time which was just yesterday, was caused by a mis-fixes of Anti-virus, McAfee when it conducted its routine update yesterday. The update is meant to give "better" protection, but it led to "over" protection to the extent it even wrongly detected some "good" files and deleted it. That resulted in big chao.

Well, I was a bit stranded in my own small world. The system shut itself down as soon as you log on and you don't know why. So, I went to logon my baby laptop (yes, I have two laptops, :D) and I found it is about the the consequence due to the mis-fix of Mcafee To make matter worst, my curiosity and anxiety lead me to keep checking on my laptop and later I found I lost my internet connection and after calling AOL they confirmed that they cannot locate my IP address and that the driver is causing problem and indeed this morning, my usb cannot even be read! I thought that was similar to what I encountered when my laptop crashed for the first time. I am not sure if I had to "rebuild" again, which I hope not because that would mean I have to wipe out my laptop completely, :(

As the Mcafee software is provided to us free for home use by the University and because this problem also creates some University wide alert, the helpdesk people give me some ideas how to get it sorted. I was not feeling hopeful to be honest. You are just not sure how this could affect you. I have to say I take it a lot easier this time. I joked with colleagues about this problem as I knew some also faced similar situations. I was glad I took it well because I still managed to keep my cool and carry on with my daily work routine. My thinking was if my laptop turned bad, I would at most work from office even on the weekend. I mean I don't work quite a lot in the evening anyway, so this would mean I would have to spend slightly longer hours everyday in the office, to compensate for the time I may resort to the computer in the evening. So, that was not a problem.

At the end of the day, I got it sorted and now back online again. Lots of thoughts come through my head arising from this event, like "how technological leverages can be so overlooked that you just have no idea how you are dependent on it. After all, it felt like a journey dealing with this little crisis of mine. I did feel I had made some insightful reflections from it. I believed this will make me "more grounded", :D

0 comments: