Do whatever we believe in

Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I gave a firmed handshake to WDB and say goodbye to him and still with my spirits held high."

We were having a evening meal at Imago, with our guest speaker, WDB for tomorrow who will be talking about expert judgement. WDB is the lead figure in the academia on Behavioural Finance, well known in the field, being invited to many conferences and giving talks to wide ranges of audiences, academics and professional alike. WDB was engaging and people just like chatting with him, topics ranging from the current elections to taxation in the States.

RF who sat next to me was talking her experiences working in the banking sector years ago and how hard it was to quantify variables for forecasting when assessing cases in "analysis" casework. I cut in the middle and add that "we should just go do what we believe in". I mean, at that point, I thought RF make me feel as though there were things in the "forecasting" process that she was not very sure of. Then, I further said that there is nothing such as perfect "forecasting", i.e., we should just get on with it and learn from our experience.

There were some comments from WDB in which he thinks it is a "luxury to do so". I guess he is seeing this from another angle somehow, but I didn't feel I could engage or connect with him at that instant, to have fireworks, so I just not make anymore comments. It was awkward for a while, especially WDB is such a prominent person in the academia, perhaps there is some miscommunication or something, which is a shame.

I increasingly find myself becoming more and more "efficient" these days, just want to "do enough" and not anymore, even engaging in discussion with people, I just made sure I said he more "efficient" things, which I think I did today, "we should just do whatever we believe in" doesn't that sound right? how else one can still challenge that. Our evening meals finished around 10.30 pm, tired and full, we hit the road, I gave a firmed handshake to WDB and say goodbye to him and still with my spirits held high. :D

0 comments: